Sunday 23 October 2011

Song of the Rainbird

Good Morning lovelies,

One of the things I really love about being a blogger is unique designers I hadn't come across before sending me press releases and imagery of their collections. Imagine my joy at finding one such email earlier this week from Australian designer Kelly Love. I had not come across Kelly's work before and I am so pleased that she has shared it with me because I adore her AW11 collection - 'Song of the Rainbird'.It is a collection inspired by the 60's with references to the correlation between muses, fallen rock stars and beautiful birds in cages. I really love the print work, black and white mixed with navy contrasted against bright pops of yellow. I wanted to know more about the collection. So contacted Kelly back and asked her a few questions:What is your inspiration?
Inspiration can come from anywhere but my label is mainly inspired by femininity, 1940's and 1960's, textured fabrics, foreign films, Parisian actresses, folk music and antique furniture.How do you start designing a collection?
I start by writing - anything from a short story to a song. For my AW2011 collection 'Song of the Rainbird' I collaborated with the band Nova's Basement who wrote music to my lyrics. You can listen to the song here! Whatever I write is written as the girl who would wear my collection, almost like an imaginary muse. I then do a mood board, start sketching and pick colours and fabrics.What made you move to London?
The Industry is so much bigger in London than in Sydney so I knew there would be more opportunity. I also love to travel and there are so many places just a hop, skip and jump away? Plus it is such an inspirational city with so much to do and see.How long have you been designing?
I started designing at school and loved it. I've always known I wanted to do something creative. My label started in 2o08 when I launched my first collection "Beautiful Side of Everything" at the New Generation Show of Australian Fashion Week. My latest collection for SS12 'Pocket Full O'Posies' is my third collection in the UK and is inspired by bunches of posies, vintage lingerie and 1940's cocktail parties.I really like this collection and enjoyed speaking to Kelly! I hope you do too!
Best wishes,
Fashion Fantasist xx

P.S she also has a shop on her website!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love how she starts designing a new collection by writing a song or short story. It’s such a beautiful approach that results in whimsical, yet wearable designs.
    This is my favourite:

    http://kellylove.com/shop/gilded-cage-blouse/

    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that's one of my favorites too! :) May be saving my pennies xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 60s fashion and this is a great collection that I'd love to have in my closet! I'll definetely check out her website, thyanks for sharing.

    PS: You are so lucky! I wish I grew up in Oxford too, I just loved the city.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous collection. Love how she starts creating a new collection from a story or song, how cool!

    http://goldielondon.blogspot.com/2011/10/gracing-rooftops-naomi-dress.html

    ReplyDelete