Saturday 11 June 2011

Introducing the New Generation

Last Saturday was UWE fashion and fashion textiles graduate's show. I can still remember the stress and excitement from mine so I was very much looking forward to this years ideas and designs. After a lovely day at the Cottage Inn by the River I headed to Bristol's RWA, which is an art gallery. A really light airy space and very intimate - I knew I would be able to get a close look at the garments as they came down the catwalk.

I wasn't disappointed!

The first collection that graced the stage was Sarah Cassidy's. A brightly coloured knitted collection inspired by an anatomical heart locket. Acid green, bright blues, black and white stripes all teamed with Vivienne Westwood shoes made for a very exciting start to the show.

Here are a few of my favourites...
Edward Lord's dramatic grey sculpted collection was very impressive with a luxurious fur trimmed coat and long draped dresses.

Lucy Brookes' printed menswear created from abstract pin up girls.

Jenna Lauren Dawson's collection featured wonderful, drawn bird embroidery and print patterns.
Elaine Youh's collection featured complicated fabric manipulation in a colour pallet of red, black and white.
Tolga Ozturk's menswear collection inspired by gorillas was very striking in blacks and orange. One model even had some eyes draped over his shoulders.
Nicola Chisall's impressive plastic carnival inspired collection closed the show in a blur of bright colours and complicated construction.

I really enjoyed the show well done to all the graduates and good luck for what they might do next! I will do a separate blog post for the 2D work. Please check out my review of the show for Guide2Bristol.

Best wishes,
Fashion Fantasist xx

P.S thank you Steve Norton for the photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment